purpose of the Citizens' Advisory Committee of the Jim Thorpe Area
School District is to assist the Board of Directors in managing the
governance of the District.
- This Committee will have an advisory role
to the Superintendent, Administrators and School Board in the following
areas: budget, calendar, curricula, discipline, drug & alcohol
issues, hiring & personnel policies, salaries & benefits,
student health and related items, which affect the Board,
Administrators, Students and Parents of the Jim Thorpe Area School
- With regard to this advisory role, the
purpose of this committee is to "advise" on issues. It is within the
purview of the Board to determine whether or not the 'Advisory
Committee's suggestions are implemented.
Composition of the Advisory Committee
The Citizens' Advisory Committee of the Jim Thorpe Area School District will be comprised of the following members:
- One member from the Faculty of the JTASD, who resides in the District.
- One member from the Parent-Teacher-Student Association.
- One member of the Board of Directors of the JTASD.
- Two members from the Borough of Jim Thorpe (who are not current Board members).
- Four members from Penn Forest Township (who are not currently Board members).
- One member from Kidder Township who is not currently a Board member).
- One At-Large Member, selected from any District Areas, who is deemed qualified by the Board of Directors.
the event that there is insufficient interest from any of the above
District Areas to fill the allocated positions, interested parties may
be selected from other areas.
Selection of the Advisory Committee and Term of Office
selection of the Citizens' Advisory Committee of the Jim Thorpe Area
School District is at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
- The Term of Office will be for two (fiscal) years.
of the intent to solicit membership in the Citizens' Advisory Committee
will be posted in the local newspaper and District Website with a
two-week, time-limit placed on the response(s). After all the
respondents have replied, within the time-limit stipulated, the Board
will select the membership at its discretion.
- A Chairperson the Committee should be selected by majority vote.
Citizens' Advisory Committee's responsibility is to review those areas
of District function (as noted above) and suggest to the Board any
- The Citizens' Advisory Committee is invited
to all Board meetings, including regularly scheduled and Committee
meetings and have access to any meeting content- finances, committee
business, etc. The members may have access to any information that is
normally available to the general public via the District Website. They
are excluded from Executive Sessions, unless otherwise invited.
information requested beyond that which is available on the Website may
only be transmitted to the Chairperson, who may distribute it to other
Committee members as they deem appropriate.
- Any input or
recommendations of the Citizens' Advisory Committee should be presented
to the Superintendent prior to the next scheduled Board meeting, in
order to be placed on the agenda, or tendered at the Acknowledgement of
Visitors section of the next scheduled meeting.
- The Citizens' Advisory Committee has input to but does not have a vote in the Board proceedings.
- Meetings should be held on a regularly scheduled basis, as determined by the Board, but not less than once per month.
- Minutes of the meetings shall be kept, transcribed, and be available for Board review.