"To Close or Not to Close...That is the Question"
Without a doubt, any Superintendent will tell you that one of his/her
most difficult decisions is whether to close, delay or open school on
days of inclement weather. It is difficult because the Superintendent
must decide on the probability of safety to transport students. The
process usually begins at 4:00AM. with several district personnel
traveling to many of the district roads checking on conditions. During
this time, we are in contact with other superintendents, the
Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, Township Officials, and the
State Police. Our decision must be made no later than 5:00 AM. since we
must apprise all district employees, as well as parents and students.
The announcement of school closing and/or delay is made via our district
emergency announcement system, as well on most of the local television
and radio stations and websites as soon as possible.
must make a decision by 5:00 AM. there may be a need to revise the
decision later in the morning because of a change in storm conditions.
It is important for parents to continue to check the district website,
television and radio stations after the initial announcement, in the
event weather conditions dictate a change. For the most part, the
county superintendents attempt to make a uniform decision, since all
districts send students to the CCTI.
Certainly, we realize that
our decision is subject to second guessing, but please realize that our
decision is made at 5:00AM. I will say, that if there is any doubt, we
will err on the safe side, but please realize that we can not possibly
check every road or development in the over 137 square miles of our
Hopefully this provides you with relevant information
and allows you to better understand the process. If you have any
questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.